The islands of New Zealand are full of things to see and do. Whether you’re into beach destinations or mountain fun, there are many places to see when travelling around in a motorhome hire New Zealand.
Many places are easy to reach in a day from main cities, due to the fact that New Zealand isn’t that large. You can easily travel around in a motorhome New Zealand to reach the places that you want to see.
North Island and South Island are equally beautiful and it’s hard to pick just one island to visit. If you only have time for one visit, pick the South Island and take as many day trips as you can from your chosen “base” while in New Zealand. The following are our favorite tour destinations in North Island, NZ:
- Auckland is a must. Everyone who visits New Zealand knows that Auckland is a city that one should visit. It’s laid back vibe, it’s abundance of things to do, and it’s beauty are just a few reasons why you may want to take a day trip there if you don’t plan on staying there during your time in New Zealand.
- Waitomo Caves are worth visiting. While you’re in the North Island, you’ll want to take some time to see a very destination in the North Island. The Waitomo Caves are worth seeing on their own as an underground world, but just wait until you see them light up with glow worms. It’s a sight to behold and one that you’ll want to see. There are a few places in the world where this happens, but believe us, it’s an impressive sight that you don’t want to miss while visiting New Zealand.
- You’ll love seeing the Hobbiton Movie Set. If you are an avid movie watcher and have seen the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies, then you’re going to want to visit this iconic movie set. Located in the area of Waikato, the Hobbiton Movie Set is a must-do day trip for anyone visiting North Island.
- Bay of Islands is incredible. Not so much of a movie goer but you love the beach? Then head on over to Bay of Islands. You can take a day trip to any one of the islands and have a fantastic time doing so. From skydiving to kayaking and simply snorkeling, there is a lot of fun to be had in this area of the North Island. Bay of Islands is New Zealand’s own little paradise and if you need some sun and sand, then this is the North Island destination for you.
- Check out Lake Taupo. Lake Taupo may be a gorgeous lake right now but it was once a volcano. This fascinating lake is gorgeous and not only is it beautiful, but it’s huge. Many people enjoy visiting Lake Taupo almost as much as they do going to the ocean. With mountains in the distance and plenty of lake tours that are offered in these parts, Lake Taupo is certainly something that you can take a day trip to see, although we suggest spending more time there.
- Hike Tongariro National Park. You don’t have to stay near Tongariro National Park to enjoy hiking there. If you want to get out in fresh air while travelling through North Island, NZ, then you must include Tongariro National Park on one of your day tours. As an iconic national park in the country, you’ll be blessed with views like none other in this alpine wonderland that is home to a few volcanoes.
- Take a trip to Maori villages near Rotorua. Whether you visit Rotorua on a day trip or you decide to stay there to spend some time in the geothermal wonderland, make sure to take some time to go to Whakarewarewa which is a living Maori village. Learning about Maori culture is one of the best things about a visit to New Zealand and if you’ve been looking for a place to get to know more about the Maori people, why not visit an actual village?
From skydiving tours to Waitomo cave tours, there is an abundance of things to do while in North Island, New Zealand. You can be sure that your visit to this amazing place will be anything but boring.
After all, New Zealand is home to many different types of animals and has several different types of landscapes and eco systems in one tiny country—if you compare it to the neighbor country of Australia.
As you consider a road trip in a motorhome hire New Zealand, rest assured that North Island will not disappoint. From beach destinations to hot springs and incredible Maori cultures and traditions, it’s going to be a trip that you won’t soon forget.